Long History, Brilliant Culture
Sokwang Temple
2024-02-07
Visit2490
Good0


Sokwang
Temple

Sokwang Temple in Solbong-ri, Kosan County, Kangwon Province of the DPRK dates back to the end of Koryo- Feudal Joson Dynasty.
Ungjin Pavilion was set up for the first time in 1386 at the end of Koryo and later more than 50 buildings, large and small, were put up in the period of the Feudal Joson Dynasty.
The buildings of Sokwang Temple along with the main buildings facing south in the deep valley open to the east Temple are in good harmony with the topography. The group of buildings in the upper part was made with Ungjin Pavilion as the main building and the group of buildings in the lower part with Taeung Pavilion as the main building.
The first gate to the temple is Puli gate. Puli gate was built in 1751 as a cozy bridge house on the rainbow-shaped stone bridge across a brook flowing in front of the temple.
Jogye Gate is the second gate to the temple. The existing gate was rebuilt in 1783.
In the Taeung Pavilion are pictures of Buddha and nine Buddhas.
Ungjin Pavilion, one of the main buildings of the temple, is in the north of the main axis on the upper part of the temple.